Big Sur offers some of the most world renowned coastal vistas, period. With cliffs plunging hundreds of feet into the open Pacific Ocean, there's no shortage of drama. Winter in Big Sur boasts mostly clear views and mild temperatures, classic California. This coastline is truly one of my favorite places and I love leading groups to create the most unique images possible.
We will kick off the workshop Wednesday afternoon with an informal meet and greet session. Students will have a chance to meet, mingle, and discuss what images they want to achieve. Our itinerary will be loose as we will be using the weather and light to plan our final shooting locations. Plan on being up to shoot EVERY SUNRISE AND SUNSET. During the afternoon we will seek out hidden coastal nooks while taking breaks to review and post process images. Voluntary night photography sessions (weather dependent) will be available for those with energy left over. Before heading home Sunday afternoon we will wrap up the workshop with a final post processing and group image review session. We will be working in and around water, be prepared to get wet!
What You'll Learn:
With such varied and amazing terrain, this workshop will provide a wide range of lessons. As always we will cover tech items such as camera setup, camera settings, and digital workflow. Creatively we will focus on composition, light recognition, shutter effects, and subject selection. Spending most of our time around water will lend ample opportunities to create wonderful effects with your cameras. The entire workshop will serve as a lesson in scouting and planning. Each student will receive ample one on one guidance and image critiques throughout the workshop. Daily post processing sessions will be a staple as your images progress throughout the workshop. Most importantly you'll learn how to have fun and relish the adventure! View our full creative philosophy here.
- DSLR Camera, tripod, remote/wired shutter release. Standard zoom lens.
- Plenty of memory card space (will be shooting full RAW)
- 2-3 fully charged batteries
- Headlamp (red light capable)
- LED flashlight (backup)
- Comfortable(preferably waterproof) hiking boots/shoes
- Waterproof/resistant shell layers
- Spare layers (we are working in and around water)
- Attitude ready for adventure and exploration.
What's Good To Have:
- WIde angle lens. Rental lenses can be sourced at www.borrowlenses.com
- ND filters.
- Fishing waders (thigh or chest high)
- Laptop (with Adobe Lightroom installed)
- Hard drive for backing up photos
- Lodging. 4 nights, single occupancy.
- In field instruction
- Image reviews and critiques
- Post processing tutorials
- Post shoot (email) image reviews.
What's Not Included:
- Transportation to and from. We will carpool during the workshop.
- Park Fees
Payment for single day workshops is due at registration. Multi-day workshops offer the option to pay a $200 deposit. This deposit reserves your place in the workshop. 60 days before the workshop's date the balance is due. We send out an invoice 7 days prior to the due date reminding you of the balance due date. If you sign up less than 60 days prior to the workshop start date, the full amount is due at registration.